Patient Account Specialist
Reports to: Billing Manager
Under the general direction of the Billing Manager, the Patient Account Specialist will complete verification of benefits, research patient accounts to determine amounts owed. Will work with patients to collect balances and work with outside collection agencies on unpaid balances.
- High School Diploma/Equivalent
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must be willing to travel between multiple locations
- 1-year experience working in a residential/behavioral healthcare setting. 1-year customer service and/ or collections experience.
- Spanish Speaking
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Travel between multiple locations
- Will be on call some nights and weekends for verification of benefits Account research and clean-up
- Insurance tracking on unpaid claims
- Incoming customer phone calls regarding account issues
- Outgoing phone calls to customers regarding benefits and accounts
- Coordinate with patients and families regarding process of out of network insurance payments.
- In-house customer interactions regarding billing process and responding to inquiries regarding insurance benefits.
- Set-up and tracking of payment plans
- Collect and post payments to customer account
- Research and refund customer credits
- Help identify continuous training/re-training needs
- Compile reports as needed
- Attend staff meetings
- Verify patients insurance benefits
- Stays on task and uses time at work to benefit patients, coworkers, providers, and the Company.
- Their actions reflect positively on Brighton Recovery Center
- Responds promptly to the needs of others and looks for ways to help and serve. Offers exceptional customer service with every interaction, actively seeking opportunities to give positive, memorable service. Listens carefully and thoughtfully. Works collaboratively to help anyone in need.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Customer Service: Ability to handle upset customers. Able to defuse rather than add to tense situations. Communicates with customers clearly and help them understand what their obligations and responsibilities are. Maintains professionalism under pressure. Willing to go the extra mile to help customers resolve account or claim issues.
- Attention to Detail: Accuracy in work. Follows through completely on account issues. Self-starter: Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities. Can make judgment calls based on knowledge of set policies and procedures. Motivated to stay on task with little supervision.
- Basic Computer Applications: Proficient in keyboard and 10-key. Knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook, and internet functions.
- Communication: Ability to read, understand and follow written and oral instructions. Ability to clearly communicate needs, instructions, concerns, etc. with others. Office Equipment: Basic knowledge of standard office equipment such as copiers, fax, printers, etc.
- Able to maintain medical and financial confidentiality
- Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with customers, physicians, co-workers, and management staff
- Ability to sit for 7-8 hours a day
- Ability to use a keyboard and 10-key for 7-8 hours a day
- Some lifting (20-50 lbs.) may occasionally be required