Reports to: Charge Nurse
Under the direction of the Charge Nurse, the Primary Care Nurse provides medical care of patients on the unit. The Primary Care Nurse, treats and educates patients about various medical conditions, and provides advice and emotional support to patients; family members. The Primary Care Nurse records patients’ medical histories and symptoms, helps perform diagnostic tests and analyze results, operate medical machinery, administer treatment and medications, and help with case follow up and rehabilitation.
- Current LPN/RN license in the state of Utah
- Current CPR Certification
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- 1 year experience working in a residential/behavioral healthcare setting as a Med Tech/LPN/RN
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with physicians, psychologists, social workers, psychiatric nurses, or other professionals to discuss treatment plans and progress.
- Advise or inform guardians, relatives, or significant others of patients’ conditions or treatment.
- Report to the administrator – on – call significant incidents and problems such as:
- Unusual patient or family problems or concerns
- Physician concerns
- Major damage or utility outages
- Security problems
- Public relations or media events
- Matters of legal importance
- Calls received from the Health Department or any other regulatory body
- Safety issues
- Responsible for a number of activities related to the delivery of medical care and clinical services such as cost management, utilization review, quality assurance, and medical protocol development.
- Monitor quality and appropriateness of medical care.
- Provide guidance and leadership for performance guidelines.
- Manage physician relations and/or representation.
- Address emergency issues.
- Assists patients in making appropriately informed medical decisions.
- Reports changes in patient status to Charge Nurse/Director of Medical Services/Physician.
- Performs Primary Care Nurse/Med Tech duties such as:
- Implement individual treatment plans
- Record patient behavior
- Provide a safe, supportive environment for the patients
- Provide and record patient medications
- Assist in daily activities
- All other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong communication skills in writing and verbally.
- Ability to work with patients in a respectful, compassionate manner.
- Ability to be highly organized and pay great attention to detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, etc…
- Knowledge of proper dispensing and administration of medications.
- Knowledge of regulations concerning the proper disposal of medications.
- Knowledge of regulations regarding expired medications.
- Understands and enforces Company Policies and Procedures and State Regulations.
- Understands all emergency protocols, responds to emergencies, and provides direction during emergencies.
- Ability to lead others.
- Ability to understand and uphold policies, procedures, and regulations.